Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Dog Health Questions: Shelter statistics- I need response for essay?

Hello, I am writing an essay for my dog training certificate and I need to ask shelters or rescue people the following questions. I contacted several organizations with no response, so hopefully someone here can help me. 1) Rescue name and address 2) Pertinent statiscts (% of dogs relinquished, reasons why, % dogs adopted and % dogs euthanised)
If anyone can give me such information I can complete the essay and hopefully get my certificate. To whoever answers, THANK YOU!

Dog Training Hand Signals - 2 Important Commands You Can Teach Today



Recommended Answer:
It's hard to just state the facts. I volunteer with the Animal Humane Society in MN. Their statistics remain at roughly 50% adoption. That seems very bad, but take into account that they adopted out 20,800 animals in just 2006 alone.

But the poor statistics need to be examined more in deapth. The humane society offers euthanasia for a very low cost. Many people bring their pets in to be euthanized. I myself brought in my 3 rats when it was their time because the vet wanted $150 and the humane society only charged me $5.

Many of the animals surrendered are there because they bit someone, or they are out of control, or they are very sick or old. The humane society euthanizes animals that are not good canidates for adoption. An animal that only has a few months left to live, or one that would be dangerous in a household would be put down because there are many more healthy and friendly animals that need adoption.

I am NOT a supporter of "no kill" shelters, because they simply refuse to accept animals, or they drop them off in the middle of the night at a shelter that will euthanize them.

The Animal Humane Society accepts ALL animals, no matter the reason for surrender or the condition in which they are presented. They choose to euthanize those that are not good canidates for adoption.

The reason I support them fully is that they have an extensive foster program, allowing sick/injured/orphan/young animals to have some time with a foster home to become fit for adoption. AND once an animal is put onto the adoption floor, it WILL NOT be euthanized unless something MAJOR goes wrong with the animal's health or mental state making them unfit for adoption. I saw a dog once that was up for adoption for 4 months, but he eventually found the perfect home.My point in all of this is that you can't judge a shelter by the numbers alone because there is SO MUCH more that goes into the quality of a shelter than how many were adopted vs. how many were put down.

Dog Training Mistakes You Should Never Do


  • statistical data is first gathered then interpreted
    not interpreted then gathered.

  • Go to shelter websites. QCAWC.org is a no-kill shelter and they have their stats on the site some where.

  • I have done a dog training certificate! this is where i work
    1) animal aid, australia
    2) not sure.. but majority of dogs are rehomed. the only ones who get put down are the ones with biting habits who can not be safely rehomed.

    we do get litters of puppies from time to time.
    hope this helps

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips. I will be sharing this with all of my friends! Thank you for sharing valuable information.
_________________________
Portland Dog Trainers

Post a Comment