Sunday, November 18, 2012

Dog Health Questions: What to look for in a good trainer?

I am wanting to learn more about dog training/behavior to create a stronger bond with my dog and also allow me to better help the foster dogs we bring in.

I went to puppy classes with my dog until she was 6 months old then continued on with dog manners for a course. I noticed way more success with one particular trainer than the others.

What should I look for in a good trainer? What questions should I ask?

I am in Calgary Alberta & have basset hounds if that helps.

Thanks!

Using the Right Dog Training Treats



Recommended Answer:
You've got be comfortable with the trainer and the methods they use, first and foremost. A good trainer knows that dogs aren't made with cookie cutters, they have a whole repertoire of methods and they tailor what they're doing to work for individual dogs. Dog training is not one method fits all.

Given that you have a basset, you'd really be wise to find a trainer that has experience with a huge variety of breeds because the hounds, both sight and scent hounds, are a whole different challenge to train. Someone who's successfully trained labs or standard poodles, likely doesn't have a clue what to do with any hound.

I always watch the trainer conduct a class, then talk to them before I sign up any of my dogs.

So, I'd suggest watching them first to see if you like the way they teach, then ask them what breeds they're experienced with, ask if they've ever trained any scent hounds, ask which of the professionals they respect and who's methods they may have incorporated. To me, it's pretty much a given that I'd trust and enjoy working with a trainer who likes Patricia McConnell, Sheila Booth, Jean Donaldson, Brenda Aloff, Suzanne Clothier and I wouldn't go near a trainer who mentions C. Millan.

The Kinds of Dog Training Collars


  • I, personally, like to look at how the trainer handles the dogs and the people - is he/she polite? Friendly? Good with both human and dog? Are any of the dogs afraid of them? Are the humans comfortable? Does he/she explain things in a way anyone can understand and does he/she take extra time to explain individually if someone doesn't?

    I also like to look at their methods. I prefer someone who is familiar with and uses a variety - not just one kind. I also look to see if they criticize any OTHER methods - it's okay to not like one or another, but if they criticize without giving a valid reason for it then i tend to be less than impressed.

    Wether or not they have titled any dogs themselves or if any of the dogs they helped trained are titled says a lot too.

    I would ask your vet or scout around local pet stores (that don't sell puppies) and/or dog day care businesses to see if they have any suggestions on trainers. Sometimes bulletin boards will have advertisements.

  • If you're interested in classes, I strongly suggest watching some classes to find out if the trainer would be a good fit. Are the classes chaotic? Some might look chaotic at first glance, but if you see dogs and handlers working succesfully together, that is a good sign. Others truly are chaotic- with some dogs and handlers totally clueless, and a lof of failure going on. A good trainer sets her dog, or her class, up for success.

    If you want to learn more about behavior, the first place I recommend is reading or watching anything by Patricia McConnell. She has a website (patriciamcconnell.com) and a blog (theotherendoftheleash.com) and I highly recommend both. I am comfortable recommending trainers from this list, but don't see anyone in Alberta :( You might consider calling whoever looks close, and asking for a recommendation- there are plenty of trainers not on this list that would also be good.
    http://www.trulydogfriendly.com/blog/?pa…

  • I look for methods. I find that positive training works much better than discipline training. As in, the dog responds better to encouragement for good behavior than punishment for bad behavior. Just as with a child, it creates confidence and a stronger bond between you and your dog.

    I like to hear testimonials. I always ask for a list of past clients and I ask THEM the questions. Any trainer is going to talk themselves up, but I prefer to hear it from people who have no vested interest in the trainer.

    I cannot stand trainers on a power trip. I am an experienced trainer myself and I take my dogs to classes just to brush up, meet new dogs, learn to concentrate in exciting places, and socialize. I don't take kindly to someone talking to me like a child, so I look for respectful trainers who realize that not everyone is on the same level. I seek polite, friendly, dog-lovers. Not power-hungry tyrants trying to look important.

    I also like to ask a trainer about a particularly challenging dog or a failure. That's the best way to get to know a trainer. How they answer this question shows a lot about them. Are they too embarrassed to answer because they lack the self-confidence to admit their own mistakes? Do they answer quickly and are they able to laugh about it? Or do they avoid the question with a glaze of business-like charm? I find that this weeds out the shallow trainers.

    A trainer should be someone that you can really talk to. They should be approachable above all. You don't want to feel like you're asking a dumb question or that the trainer is too busy for you. It's a give and take relationship, really. The trainer should understand that he or she can learn from you and your dog just as much as you can learn from them. They should listen to your concerns, your trials and errors and successes and help make a training program accordingly. Not all dogs respond to the same training methods, so check to see that they are flexible. I always sit in on a few courses before I sign up.

    Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment